The Union Cabinet has cleared the proposal to notify several tribal communities under the Scheduled Tribes (ST) category in Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh.
Union Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda told media persons after the Cabinet meeting that these proposals were lying pending for several years.
Basically due to spelling errors and similar sounding names of several communities, these could not be brought under the ST category for a very long time, he said.
The tribal communities under ST categories are:
- Narikoravan and Kurivikkaran community of Tamil Nadu
- Betta-Kuruba community as a synonym of Kadu Kuruba of Karnataka
- Gonds, along with its five sub-castes, in Bhadohi district of Uttar Pradesh
- Hatti community living in Himachal’s Sirmour area
- Brijjia community and 11 other tribes from Chhattisgarh