- The annual meeting of the World Economic Forum started in Davos, Switzerland, on January 16 and will continue till January 20, 2023.
- The theme of the 53rd annual event is ‘Cooperation in a Fragmented World’.
- Aim: To address the pressing issues the world is facing and promote innovative solutions
- A range of topics will be discussed at the 2023 meeting – New Energy, Climate Change, Jobs, Travel and Tourism, Health, Tech, and Banking.
- Miss USA, R’Bonney Gabriel (28) has been crowned the Miss Universe 2022 at the 71st Miss Universe pageant organized in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- She is a model, fashion designer, and sewing instructor who prioritizes the environment in her work.
- She is also the first Filipino American to win Miss USA.
- Amanda Dudamel from Venezuela was the first runner-up, and Andreína Martínez from the Dominican Republic was the second runner-up.
- European officials and Carl XVI Gustaf (Swedish King) have inaugurated the first mainland orbital launch complex of the European Union at Esrange Space Centre near the city of Kiruna, Sweden.
- Aim: To bolster the capacity to launch small satellites into space with a new launchpad in Arctic Sweden.
- The new facility should complement the EU’s current launching capabilities in French Guiana.
- European Commission President: Ursula Von der Leyen
- Swedish state-owned mining company, LKAB, has discovered more than one million tonnes of rare earth oxides in the northern area of the country.
- This is the largest known deposit in Europe.
- Currently, no rare earths are mined in Europe and it mostly imports them from other regions.
- Almost 98 per cent of rare earths used by the European Union were sent by China.
- Rare earth elements or rare earth metals are a set of 17 chemical elements in the periodic table.
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati and Bombay in collaboration with European universities are working towards building a low-cost technology to check the quality of potable and other water in India.
The LOTUS Indo-European project, an initiative of the Department of Science and Technology and the European Commission, is aimed at providing solutions for issues related to the quality of water supplied across Indian households and elsewhere.
A core element of the LOTUS project is a novel water quality sensor that builds on previous work done at Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France.
The core of the LOTUS sensor is a chip with carbon nanotube-based sensing elements that are capable of measuring multiple quality parameters such as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Potential of Hydrogen (pH), chlorine, and arsenic.
The components of the sensor system include a software that enables water quality monitoring and safe water supply in the piped water network and tanker supply systems.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru has been named the Secretariat for Science 20 (S20), the G20 summit’s science working group.
- S20 2023 theme is ‘Disruptive Science for Innovative and Sustainable Development.’
- S20 has been set up as part of efforts by G20 to address global challenges including climate change mitigation and sustainable development.
- G20 is an intergovernmental forum comprising 19 countries and the European Union.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) will host the World Trade Organization’s 2024 ministerial conference, the largest global gathering of trade ministers. The meeting will take place in Abu Dhabi in the week of February 26, 2024.
The WTO’s 13th ministerial conference, also known as MC13, comes at a crucial time when the global economy is slowing and stunned from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, an ongoing pandemic, and a trade war between the world’s two largest economies.
The priorities of MC13 are to reach an agreement to reform its dispute settlement system and renew its rulebook set up 27 years ago. Most WTO member nations want to restore the body’s Appellate Body, a kind of Supreme Court for trade. The United States has blocked the appointment of new judges to the body due to complaints, citing systemic problems with the way the WTO members settle trade disputes.
The WTO ministerial meetings are generally held biennially and give political impetus to advance international trade negotiations. The 2024 meeting is important for the UAE in its vision to position itself as a global hub for business amid growing competition in the Middle East. The country has been signing bilateral trade deals with fast-growing economies. It will also host the next edition of the United Nations’ climate change conference, COP 28.
The Golden Boot, is awarded to the World Cup’s top goal scorer, is presently tied for first place with five goals each between Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe, who will compete in the FIFA World Cup 2022 final game. A player who scores the most goals throughout the competition will receive the Golden Boot.
The men’s FIFA World Cup, the most important event in international football, features the top national teams in action. Football is widely perceived as the most popular sport in the world, and the FIFA World Cup, which is held every four years, spectacularly draws massive crowds. After winning the most recent FIFA World Cup in 2018, France is the current world champion.
The FIFA World Cup currently taking place in Qatar from November 20 to December 18, will be the first winter World Cup ever.
Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike Kawānanakoa, a Hawaiian princess whose lineage included the royal family that once ruled the islands and an Irish businessman who became one of Hawaii’s largest landowners, passed away at the age of 96 in Honolulu, Hawaii.