A group of 25 Indian Army personnel has arrived in Egypt to participate in the 2nd edition of the India-Egypt Joint Special Forces Exercise CYCLONE. This exercise, scheduled from January 22nd to February 1st, 2024, aims to enhance cooperation between the two nations’ special forces. The first edition of the exercise took place in India the previous year.
The Indian contingent is from The Parachute Regiment (Special Forces), while the Egyptian contingent consists of 25 personnel from the Egyptian Commando Squadron and Egyptian Airborne Platoon.
Objective of the Exercise:
The primary goal of Exercise CYCLONE is to familiarize both sides with each other’s operating procedures, particularly in the context of special operations in desert and semi-desert terrain, as outlined in Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter. The exercise is strategically designed to foster bilateral military cooperation and strengthen the bond between the Indian and Egyptian armies. This is achieved through discussions and the practice of tactical military drills.
Phases of the Exercise:
- Phase One – Military Exhibitions and Tactical Interactions:
- In this initial phase, the exercise will involve military exhibitions and tactical interactions to build understanding between the Indian and Egyptian contingents.
- Phase Two – Training on Improvised Explosive Device (IED), Counter IED, and Combat First Aid:
- The focus shifts to specialized training in the identification and handling of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), counter-IED strategies, and combat first aid techniques.
- Phase Three – Joint Tactical Exercise:
- The final phase will consist of a joint tactical exercise, emphasizing fighting in built-up areas and scenarios related to hostage rescue. This phase aims to simulate real-world situations and enhance the practical skills of both contingents.
Benefits and Objectives Achieved:
The Exercise provides a valuable opportunity for both the Indian and Egyptian contingents to strengthen their bonds, share best practices, and deepen military cooperation. Additionally, it serves as a platform to achieve shared security objectives and foster bilateral relations between the friendly nations. Exercise CYCLONE plays a crucial role in promoting mutual understanding and collaboration between the special forces of India and Egypt.