Dr Neeraj Mittal, Chairman of Digital Communications Commission and Secretary of the Department of Telecommunications, launched the “Bharat 5G Portal – an integrated portal” at the ‘Bharat Telecom 2024 – An Exclusive International Business Expo.’ The event was organized by Telecom Equipment and Services Export Promotion Council (TEPC) in collaboration with the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) from January 29-30, 2024.
6G R&D Proposals
As part of its initiatives, the DoT announced a call for 6G Research and Development (R&D) proposals on the integrated portal. Proposals are invited to accelerate research on 6G ecosystem development.
Future Tech-Experts Registration Portal
The Secretary also launched the Future Tech-Experts registration portal in collaboration with PANIIT USA. This portal is a significant step to aid and guide the Indian Telecom ecosystem. It will be prominently featured on the Bharat 5G Portal.
Special Meeting Session
A special meeting session titled “Bridging Dreams and Funding: Linking Venture Capital/Investors to the Future of Startups” was inaugurated by the Secretary (T). The session featured presentations by 26 startups/MSMEs showcasing innovative telecom products to attract funding. Over 10 venture capitalists/investors participated in the meet, engaging in discussions on contributing to the growth and scalability of the presented products.
India’s Telecom Advancements
Dr Neeraj Mittal highlighted India’s rapid progress in 5G rollout, emphasizing that India is now discussing 6G. With the second-largest telecom network globally, India has surprised the world with the development of indigenous 4G/5G technologies. Dr Mittal expressed the opportunity for countries to collaborate with India, emphasizing that India is a trusted partner in technology development.
Prime Minister’s Recognition
During the India Mobile Congress, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi awarded 100 “5G Use Case Labs” to educational institutions across the country. These labs aim to build competencies and engagement in 5G technologies for students and startup communities. The labs are connected through a dedicated portal, acting as a knowledge dissemination platform for testing and developing 5G use cases.
Bharat 5G Portal Overview
The Bharat 5G Portal is a comprehensive platform serving startups, industry, and academia in quantum, 6G, IPR, and 5G domains. It includes the Future Tech-Experts registration portal in collaboration with PANIIT USA, supporting the Indian Telecom ecosystem to achieve the goal of Atmanirbhar Bharat. The portal serves as a one-stop solution for quantum, IPR, PoCs/Pilot, 5G, and 6G-related works, capturing academic R&D developments, industry standards, OEMs, startups/MSMEs, and subject matter experts. It aims to propel India’s 5G capabilities, foster innovation, collaboration, and knowledge-sharing within the telecom sector.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with Answers:
1. What did Dr Neeraj Mittal launch on the sidelines of ‘Bharat Telecom 2024’?
- A. 5G Use Case Labs
- B. Future Tech-Experts Registration Portal
- C. Both A and B
- D. None of the above
- Answer: B. Future Tech-Experts Registration Portal
2. What is the purpose of the call for 6G R&D proposals announced by the DoT?
- A. To accelerate research on 5G technologies
- B. To build competencies in 5G technologies
- C. To promote 6G ecosystem development
- D. To organize an international business expo
- Answer: C. To promote 6G ecosystem development
3. What was the focus of the special meeting session titled “Bridging Dreams and Funding”?
- A. Launching 5G Use Case Labs
- B. Linking Venture Capital/Investors to Startups
- C. Discussing 6G R&D proposals
- D. Exploring academic R&D developments
- Answer: B. Linking Venture Capital/Investors to Startups
4. According to Dr Neeraj Mittal, what has India achieved in terms of telecom advancements?
- A. Fastest 6G rollout in the world
- B. Second-largest telecom network globally
- C. Leading in 5G and 6G technologies
- D. Surprising the world with 3G technologies
- Answer: B. Second-largest telecom network globally
5. What is the Bharat 5G Portal’s role in the telecom industry?
- A. To restrict technological advancements
- B. To serve as a one-stop solution for various domains
- C. To limit collaboration and knowledge-sharing
- D. To focus solely on 4G technologies
- Answer: B. To serve as a one-stop solution for various domains