The Indian Navy’s INS Sumitra successfully rescued hijacked fishermen along the East coast of Somalia and the Gulf of Aden. The rescue operation involved an Iranian-flagged Fishing Vessel (FV) named Iman, which was taken hostage by Somalian pirates.
Distress Message and Response
- Distress Message: The distress message reported the hijacking of FV Iman by pirates, with its 17-member crew taken hostage.
- Response by INS Sumitra: Deployed on anti-piracy operations, INS Sumitra intercepted the vessel and followed established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure the safe release of the crew and the fishing boat.
Sanitization and Release
- Vessel Sanitization: After intercepting the hijacked vessel, INS Sumitra sanitized it to ensure safety.
- Release: Following the successful operation, the fishing vessel Iman was released for onward transit.
Indian Navy’s Commitment to Maritime Security
The Indian Navy, through its mission-deployed ships, emphasizes its commitment to the safety of vessels and seafarers in the Indian Ocean region.
Ongoing Threats in the Region
The recent rescue is part of a series of attacks on merchant vessels in the region. Drone and pirate attacks, including those by Iran-backed Yemen’s Houthi militia in the Red Sea and Arabian Sea, have been reported.
Increased Surveillance Measures
In response to the escalating threats, the Indian Navy has heightened its surveillance apparatus in the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden. Frontline destroyers and frigates have been deployed to monitor and secure the region.
Recent Incident – Missile Attack on MV Marlin Luanda
- Distress Call: INS Visakhapatnam responded to a distress call from the merchant vessel MV Marlin Luanda.
- Missile Attack: The British oil tanker MV Marlin Luanda faced a missile attack by Yemen’s Houthi militants.
- Crew: The vessel had 22 Indian and one Bangladeshi crew members.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- What was the name of the Iranian-flagged Fishing Vessel involved in the rescue operation?
- A) INS Sumitra
- B) Iman
- C) INS Visakhapatnam
- D) MV Marlin Luanda
- Why was INS Sumitra deployed along the East Coast of Somalia and the Gulf of Aden?
- A) Maritime surveillance
- B) Anti-piracy operations
- C) Search and rescue mission
- D) Training exercise
- What was the recent incident involving INS Visakhapatnam?
- A) Hijacking of a fishing vessel
- B) Drone attack in the Red Sea
- C) Missile attack on a merchant vessel
- D) Maritime security operation