IPL Turns Decacorn As Valuation Crosses $10 Billion
The Indian Premier League (IPL) continues it’s rapid growth as among the most lucrative and profitable sporting leagues in the world globally. As per the latest estimation, the value of the tournament is now a whopping $10.9 billion dollars, easily surpassing the $10 billion criteria for it to qualify as a Decacorn. The same has been claimed in a report carried by the D & P Advisory.
The same report suggests that the valuation of the entire IPL ecosystem has witnessed an increase by 75% since 2020. Apart from being a decacorn, IPL has also become the second largest sporting league globally, which is quite an achievement in itself considering the inaugural season of the competition was played only in 2008.
Indian Premier League (IPL)
- The Indian Premier League (IPL) is a men’s T20 franchise cricket league of India.
- It is annually contested by ten teams based out of seven Indian cities and three Indian states.
- The league was founded by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2007.
- The IPL is the most-attended cricket league in the world and in 2014 was ranked sixth by average attendance among all sports leagues.
- In 2010, the IPL became the first sporting event in the world to be broadcast live on YouTube.
- The brand value of the IPL in 2022 was ₹90,038 crore (US$11 billion).
- According to BCCI, the 2015 IPL season contributed ₹1,150 crore (US$140 million) to the GDP of the Indian economy.