The Lok Sabha recently passed the Constitution (Jammu and Kashmir) Scheduled Tribes Order (Amendment) Bill, 2024. This significant legislative action aims to empower certain ethnic groups in Jammu and Kashmir by providing them Scheduled Tribe status.
Empowerment of Ethnic Groups
The Bill targets the empowerment of the following ethnic groups:
- Pahari Ethnic Group
- Padari Tribes
- Gadda Brahmin
Impact on Existing Communities
The inclusion of these communities in the Scheduled Tribes list will not affect the current level of reservations available to existing Scheduled Tribe communities like Gujjars and Bakarwals.
Reservation for the newly included Scheduled Tribes will be implemented in a manner that ensures no negative impact on existing Scheduled Tribe communities. The Government of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir will issue necessary notifications to maintain the reservation levels for both existing and newly included communities.
Commitment to Inclusive Development
The passage of this bill reflects the commitment of the government, led by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, towards inclusive development under the principle of “Sabka Sath, Sabka Vishwas”.
Progressive Changes in Jammu and Kashmir
The Modi government is dedicated to bringing progressive and affirmative changes to Jammu and Kashmir through legislative measures like the Constitution (Jammu and Kashmir) Scheduled Tribes Order (Amendment) Bill, 2024.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs):
- Which ethnic groups are targeted for empowerment by the Constitution (Jammu and Kashmir) Scheduled Tribes Order (Amendment) Bill, 2024?
- A) Gujjars and Bakarwals
- B) Pahari Ethnic Group, Padari Tribes, Koli, and Gadda Brahmin
- C) Brahmins and Rajputs
- D) None of the above
- How will the inclusion of new communities in the Scheduled Tribes list affect existing communities like Gujjars and Bakarwals?
- A) They will lose their reservation benefits.
- B) Their reservation benefits will remain unaffected.
- C) They will get increased reservation benefits.
- D) They will have to share their reservation benefits with the newly included communities.
- Who will issue the necessary notifications for implementing reservation for newly included Scheduled Tribes?
- A) Prime Minister’s Office
- B) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- C) Government of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir
- D) Lok Sabha