Union Minister Smriti Irani announced the successful establishment of One Stop Centres in over 700 districts across India. These centres, initiated under the Nirbhaya Fund by the Women and Child Development Ministry, aim to provide comprehensive assistance to women who have experienced violence in various settings, including domestic violence.
The One Stop Centres are equipped with a diverse team, including administrators, case workers, medical personnel, police facilitation officers, psycho-social counsellors, legal counsellors, security guards, IT staff, and multi-purpose workers. This comprehensive approach ensures that women receive the necessary support and care from various professionals.
Impact and Assistance
During the 32nd foundation day of the National Commission for Women (NCW), Minister Irani highlighted that these centres have already assisted more than 8.3 lakh women, underscoring their crucial role in addressing and preventing violence against women.
Emergency Response Service
Minister Irani commended the significant efforts of the NCW’s emergency response service, particularly the 24×7 helpline for women. This service plays a crucial role in providing immediate assistance to women in distress.
Women’s Contribution to Progress
Acknowledging the pivotal role of women in the nation’s progress, Minister Irani emphasized the substantial contribution of women to the country’s GDP. This recognition underscores the importance of empowering women and ensuring their active participation in various spheres.
NCW Chairperson Rekha Sharma shared the commission’s commitment to creating favorable conditions for women to participate more actively in social, economic, and political activities. The NCW, established in 1992, operates as a statutory body with the mandate to review constitutional and legal safeguards for women, recommend legislative measures, facilitate grievance redressal, and advise the government on women-centric policy matters.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with Answers
- What is the objective of the One Stop Centres established under the Nirbhaya Fund?
- A. Economic development
- B. Assistance to women facing violence
- C. Environmental conservation
- D. Educational reform
- Answer: B. Assistance to women facing violence
- Which professionals are part of the team at One Stop Centres?
- A. Only medical personnel
- B. Only security guards
- C. A diverse team including case workers, legal counsellors, and more
- D. Only administrators
- Answer: C. A diverse team including case workers, legal counsellors, and more
- How many women have been assisted through One Stop Centres, as mentioned by Smriti Irani?
- A. 80,000
- B. 830,000
- C. 8.3 million
- D. 800,000
- Answer: B. 830,000
- What is the primary mission of the National Commission for Women (NCW)?
- A. Economic policymaking
- B. Wildlife conservation
- C. Reviewing constitutional and legal safeguards for women
- D. Space exploration
- Answer: C. Reviewing constitutional and legal safeguards for women
- According to Smriti Irani, what does the NCW’s emergency response service focus on?
- A. Technological advancements
- B. Environmental protection
- C. Providing immediate assistance through a 24×7 helpline for women
- D. Educational initiatives
- Answer: C. Providing immediate assistance through a 24×7 helpline for women