Pradhan, who hails from Odisha, expressed concern that the state might miss out on the benefits of the scheme if it does not sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Centre. He highlighted the importance of the scheme for enhancing access to quality higher education and improving the employability of graduates.
Benefits of PM-USHA:
- Aims to create new institutions and transform existing ones.
- Focuses on improving the quality of education, research, and innovation.
- Encourages the adoption of new technologies and pedagogies.
- Promotes skill development and entrepreneurship among graduates.
- Provides financial assistance to students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Pradhan’s request to Patnaik:
- Sign an MoU with the Centre for the implementation of PM-USHA in Odisha.
- Allocate matching funds for the scheme.
- Develop a comprehensive plan for the implementation of the scheme.
- Establish a robust monitoring and evaluation system.
The Odisha government is yet to respond to Pradhan’s request. However, a state official said that the matter is under discussion. It is hoped that the state government will take a positive decision and implement the PM-USHA scheme in the interest of students and the development of higher education in Odisha.