The Eravikulam National Park (ENP), renowned for being the natural habitat of the Nilgiri tahr, is set to close its doors from February 1 to March 31. This closure is specifically implemented during the calving season of the Nilgiri tahr species.
New Calves Sighted
According to Munnar wildlife warden S.V. Vinod, eight new calves have recently been sighted in the Naikollimala area of the park. This observation points towards a thriving population of Nilgiri tahrs within the park.
The assessment and enumeration of the new births and the overall population of the Nilgiri tahr within the park are scheduled to take place in the last week of April. This survey aims to provide insights into the park’s conservation efforts and the growth of the Nilgiri tahr population.
Anticipation of More Births
ENP assistant wildlife warden Nithin Lal expressed optimism about the upcoming days, stating that more Nilgiri tahr births are expected in the near future. This positive outlook indicates the park’s success in maintaining a conducive environment for the species.
To ensure minimal disturbance during the crucial calving season, visitors are strictly prohibited from entering the park. This restriction aligns with the conservation efforts and the well-being of the Nilgiri tahr population.
Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQs) with Answer:
1. What is the primary reason for the closure of Eravikulam National Park from February 1 to March 31?
a) Annual maintenance
b) Calving season of Nilgiri tahr
c) Wildlife research
d) Monsoon preparation
Answer: b) Calving season of Nilgiri tahr
2. How many new Nilgiri tahr calves were recently sighted in the Naikollimala area of the park?
Answer: c) Eight
3. When is the survey to assess the new births and the total Nilgiri tahr population within the park scheduled to take place?
Answer: d) April
4. What is the expectation regarding Nilgiri tahr births in the coming days, according to ENP assistant wildlife warden Nithin Lal?
a) No further births anticipated
b) Decrease in births
c) Stable birth rate
d) More births expected
Answer: d) More births expected
5. Why are visitors not allowed into the Eravikulam National Park during the specified season?
a) Park closure for renovations
b) Nilgiri tahr mating season
c) Annual festival preparation
d) Wildlife photography ban
Answer: b) Nilgiri tahr mating season