In an effort to enhance the Fisheries sector, Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, announced several initiatives during the presentation of the Interim Budget 2024-25.
Creation of Integrated Aquaparks
The Finance Minister revealed plans to establish five integrated aquaparks, aiming to further support the fishing community and boost aquaculture activities.
Government’s Contribution to Fisheries
Minister Sitharaman emphasized the government’s commitment to the fisheries sector, highlighting the establishment of a dedicated Department for Fisheries. This strategic move has resulted in a significant increase in both inland and aquaculture production.
Seafood Export Growth
The Finance Minister shared positive statistics, noting that seafood exports have doubled since the financial year 2013-14, reflecting the sector’s overall growth and global market presence.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)
To strengthen the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY), the Finance Minister outlined key objectives:
- Enhance aquaculture productivity from the current 3 to 5 tons per hectare.
- Double exports to reach Rs 1 lakh crore.
- Generate 55 lakh employment opportunities in the near future.
Climate Resilient Activities for Blue Economy 2.0
The Minister unveiled plans for a scheme focused on restoration and adaptation measures, coastal aquaculture, and mariculture. This initiative adopts an integrated and multi-sectoral approach to promote climate-resilient activities within the blue economy.
Comprehensive Programme for Dairy Farmers
Recognizing the importance of dairy farming, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman announced the formulation of a comprehensive programme to support dairy farmers. The initiative aims to address challenges such as low productivity of milch-animals.
Disease Control Efforts
The Finance Minister mentioned ongoing efforts to control foot and mouth disease, a critical step in ensuring the health and productivity of livestock.
Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQs):
- What is the primary focus of the announcement in the Interim Budget 2024-25?
- A. Agriculture sector
- B. Fisheries sector
- C. Infrastructure development
- D. Education sector
- How many integrated aquaparks are planned to be set up according to the announcement?
- A. Two
- B. Three
- C. Four
- D. Five
- What is the main objective of Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) mentioned in the budget?
- A. Increase seafood imports
- B. Enhance aquaculture productivity
- C. Reduce fisheries employment opportunities
- D. Decrease exports to Rs 1 lakh crore
- What is the key focus of the scheme for climate-resilient activities in the blue economy 2.0?
- A. Agricultural productivity
- B. Restoration and adaptation measures
- C. Urban development
- D. Information technology advancements
- Which disease is the government actively working to control in the context of dairy farming?
- A. Avian influenza
- B. Foot and mouth disease
- C. Swine flu
- D. Mad cow disease